Yousuf Karsh: American Portraits
Exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery : May 2, 2014 - November 2, 2014
In celebration of a major gift to its collection of more than 100 portraits created by renowned photographer Yousuf Karsh (1908–2002), this exhibition featured iconic photographs of Americans who have distinguished themselves in fields as diverse as business, medicine, entertainment, politics and the arts. Among the portraits included were those of artist Georgia O’Keeffe, physician and virologist Jonas Salk, singer Marian Anderson, actress Grace Kelly, businesswoman Elizabeth Arden, architect I. M. Pei and first lady Eleanor Roosevelt. “Yousuf Karsh: American Portraits” was the museum’s first exhibition devoted entirely to the work of this internationally recognized portrait photographer, and was presented in two installations.
The curator of this exhibition was National Portrait Gallery Senior Curator of Photographs Ann Shumard.
Yousuf Karsh: American Portraits is now available for tour. For more information about bringing this show to your institution, please contact Marlene Harrison, Traveling Exhibitions Specialist, at 202-633-8287 or HarrisonMR@si.edu. All participation fees are for domestic tours. International venues would incur additional costs.
February 19, 2018 to May 20, 2018
Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum
June 20, 2018 to September 16, 2018
The Dayton Art Institute
Mid-October 2018 to mid-January 2019
February 8, 2019 to May 5, 2019
The Rockwell Museum
• 48 black-and-white photographs
• Digital files for all exhibition texts, title graphic design, organizer credits, and logo
• Sample ideas of Portrait Gallery educational programming
• Installation and display guidelines
• Portrait Gallery courier to oversee unpacking/packing and installation/deinstallation
• Press kit, including sample press release, press images, and captions with credits
• High security
• 5 to 7 footcandles required
• 70°F ±2; RH 50% ±5%
Limited to 3 venues, beginning February 2018
Please contact the museum for this information.