Stoneware with cobalt and iron pigments under clear glaze
H x W: 7.4 x 6.1 cm (2 15/16 x 2 3/8 in)
Gift of Charles Lang Freer
Restrictions & Rights
Copyright with museum
Previous custodian or owner
Yamanaka and Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919)
Yamanaka & Company, to 1899 
From 1899 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Yamanaka & Company in 1899 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 660, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. The majority of Charles Lang Freer’s purchases from Yamanaka & Company were made at its New York branch. Yamanaka & Company maintained branch offices, at various times, in Boston, Chicago, London, Peking, Shanghai, Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto. During the summer, the company also maintained seasonal locations in Newport, Bar Harbor, and Atlantic City.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery