Charles Willson Peale, 15 Apr 1741 - 22 Feb 1827
Anne Catharine Hoof Green, c. 1720 - 23 Mar 1775
Oil on canvas
Stretcher: 91.4 x 71.1 x 2.5cm (36 x 28 x 1")
Frame: 108 x 87.6 x 6.4cm (42 1/2 x 34 1/2 x 2 1/2")
Anne Catharine Hoof Green: Female
Anne Catharine Hoof Green: Communications\Publisher\Newspaper
Anne Catharine Hoof Green: Crafts and Trades\Craftsman\Printer
United States\Maryland\Anne Arundel\Annapolis
National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; partial gift with funding from the Smithsonian Collections Acquisitions Program and the Governor's Mansion Foundation of Maryland; frame conserved with funds from the Smithsonian Women's Committee
Restrictions & Rights
Born in the Netherlands
In addition to mothering fourteen children, Anne Green helped her husband, Jonas, run the Maryland Gazette. When he died in 1767, she took over as manager of his printing shop and as the newspaper’s editor. Under her supervision, the enterprise thrived, and she gained a favorable reputation for recording opinions and events leading up to the American Revolution. During this period, she was also appointed the official printer of documents for the colony of Maryland. One of a small number of women printers during the colonial period, she ran the newspaper for eight years.
In this portrait, among the first that Charles Willson Peale painted after returning from London in 1769, Peale represents Green not as her obituary recorded, a mother and wife of "a mild and benevolent Disposition . . . an Example of her Sex." Instead, he portrayed her as a professional printer with a copy of the Maryland Gazette, which announced Peale’s return and included a notice about his portrait of William Pitt.
Sitter’s son Frederick Green ; his sister Augusta Green [Mrs. Robert Denny]; descended in her family to Mrs. Frederick Hoban; her niece Mrs. Edward Alexander; Edward R. Alexander, Stirling-Haven, East Hampton, N.Y., ; their daughter Sylvia Hoban Conkling; sold to (Lawrence A. and Barbara Fleischman) around 1960; purchased by Robert McNeil, Jr.; purchased 1989 by (Kennedy Galleries, New York); Governor’s Mansion Foundation, Annapolis; donative purchase 1991 NPG