Skip to main content

   The Museum Store will be closed for a refresh from Saturday, February 29 through Sunday, March 8, 2020. Credit card sales only February 25–28. Shop online anytime at saamnpgstore.si.edu.  

Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation records, 1890-1998

Creator
Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation
Burnett, Edwin K
Dockstader, Frederick J
Draper, Alexander F
Eager, George
Force, Roland W
Heye, George G (George Gustav) 1874-1957
Williams, John S. 1901-1982
collector
Barnard, W. C
Barrett, S. A (Samuel Alfred) 1879-1965
Beauchamp, William Martin 1830-1925
Bolton, Reginald Pelham 1856-1942
Cabot, William Brooks 1858-1949
Churchill, Clara G
Churchill, Frank C (Frank Carroll) 1850-1912
Coates, James R
Cramer, Maynard
Davis, Edward H. b. 1862
Elliott, Margaret R. 1887-1976
Emmons, George Thornton
Fick, Ida A. R
Frič, Alberto Vojtěch 1882-1944
Gridley, Marion E (Marion Eleanor) 1906-1974
Grumet, Robert Steven
Harrington, M. R (Mark Raymond) 1882-1971
Harte, Neville A. 1907-1997
Harvey, Byron
Harvey, Fred
Harvey, Katherine M. 1892-1962
Hibben, Harold J. 1881-1956
Hindle, Walter d. 1992
Hodge, Frederick Webb 1864-1956
Johnson, Frederick 1904-1994
Jones, Joseph 1833-1896
Keppler, Udo J. 1872-1956
Kercher, Robert A
Koehler, Aurora 1846-1928
Lewis, Edwin C
Lippincott, William J
Lothrop, S. K (Samuel Kirkland) 1892-1965
Lummis, Charles Fletcher 1859-1928
MacDowell, E. C
Nelson, John Louw b. 1895
O'Hara, Geoffrey 1882-1967
Olsen, Godfrey J
Pepper, George H (George Hubbard) 1873-1924
Sackler, Arthur M
Skinner, Alanson 1886-1925
Smith, Watson 1897-1993
Speck, Frank G (Frank Gouldsmith) 1881-1950
Stiles, William F. 1912-1980
Creator
Tibbles, Thomas Henry 1840-1928
collector
Turbyfill, Charles Orr 1888-1966
Verrill, A. Hyatt (Alpheus Hyatt) 1871-1954
Waterman, T. T (Thomas Talbot) b. 1885
Wildschut, William
Woodward, Arthur 1898-1986
Subject
Huntington Free Library
Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation
Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research
Bartlett East Greenland Expedition (1930)
Harriman Alaska Expedition (1899)
Hendricks-Hodge Expedition (1917-1923)
Hyde Exploring Expedition (1902-1903)
Date
1890
1890-1998
Type
Mixed archival materials
Collection descriptions
Physical Description
400 linear feet
Restrictions & Rights
Access is by appointment only, Monday - Friday, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm. Please contact the archives to make an appointment
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish or broadcast materials from the collection must be requested from the National Museum of the American Indian Archive Center. Please submit a written request to nmaiarchives@si.edu
Local number
NMAI.AC.001
Notes
The Museum of the American Indian/Heye Foundation was established by wealthy collector George Gustav Heye in 1908. Heye began collecting American Indian artifacts as early as 1897. Based first our of his apartment in New York, Heye bought collections and documentary photographs, sponsored expeditions, and traveled and collected items himself. In addition, he sponsored numerous expeditions across the Western Hemisphere, including North American, Canada, South America and Central America. As he accumulated numerous objects it became apparent that he would need a separate space from his apartment to contain his burgeoning collection.
From 1908 to 1917 Heye housed his artifacts on temporary loan at the University of Pennsylvania's University Museum, Pennsylvania, in lofts on East 33rd Street in New York City, and at other depositories. However, once the Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation was completed in 1916, the collections moved to their permanent museum location at Audubon Terrace, at 155th Street and Broadway in New York City. The museum, containing ethnographic and archaeological collections from North, Central and South America, then opened to the public in 1922. Less than ten years later, Heye completed a storage facility and research branch in the Pelham Bay area of the Bronx. Heye served as Chairman of the Board and Museum Director until his death in 1957. After growing concern about the financial and other management of the collections came to a head, the museum became part of the Smithsonian Institution in 1989 and in 1994 opened exhibit and public program space in the U.S. Customs House at Bowling Green near New York City's Battery Park. The Cultural Resources Center in Suitland, Maryland later opened in 1999 and the main Washington, DC museum opened in 2004.
Records were transferred from the GGHC in New York City to the NMAI Archive Center's collection in 1999.
Organization
Organized into 20 series: 1) Directors; 2) Board of Trustees; 3) Administrative; 4) Financial; 5) Expeditions; 6) Exhibits, 1916-1993, undated; 7) Collectors ,1872-1981, undated; 8) Collections Management, 1937-1988, undated; 10) Public Programs, 1935-1990, undated; 11) Publications, 1904-1994, undated; 12) Public Affairs; 13) Development; 14) Other Departments; 15) Huntington Free Library; 16) Museum Relocation, 1969-1992, undated; 17) Media; 18) Photographs; 19) Miscellaneous; 20) Oversize
Summary
The records document the governance and programmatic activities of the Museum of the American Indian/Heye Foundation (MAI) from its inception in 1904 until becoming part of the Smithsonian Institution in 1989.
Cite as
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Museum of the American Indian/Heye Foundation Records, Box and Folder Number; National Museum of the American Indian Archive Center, Smithsonian Institution
Repository Loc.
National Museum of the American Indian Archives, Cultural Resources Center, 4220 Silver Hill Road, Suitland, Maryland 20746. (tel: 301-238-1400, fax: 301-238-3038, email: nmaiarchives@si.edu). Consult Archives for appointment
Data Source
National Museum of the American Indian Archive Center
Place
Arkansas
California
Canada
Cuba
Ecuador
Guatemala
Haiti
Missouri
Nevada
New Mexico
New York (State)
Panama
Peru
Tennessee
Texas
Hawikuh (N. M.)
Pueblo Bonito Site (N.M.)
Usage
Usage conditions apply