Experience the National Portrait Gallery's collection through vivid verbal descriptions and tactile objects. These 60-minute gallery talks are geared towards visitors who are blind or partially sighted.
Thursday gallery talks are walk-in; Saturday talks require email registration at NPGAccess@si.edu 48 hours in advance. Meet at the G Street entrance.
- Thursday, September 19 at 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, September 21 at noon
- Thursday, November 14 at 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 16 at noon
Note: On Thursdays Portrait InSight is followed at 3:30 by America InSight, a verbally described tour in the American Art Museum, located in the same building. Then, at 5:00, there is usually a jazz concert, Take Five in the Courtyard.
Explore the National Portrait Gallery's collection with a Deaf gallery educator. Sixty-minute walk-in gallery talks in American Sign Language are offered one Thursday and Saturday a month. Topics change monthly.
Saturday talks are voice-interpreted into English so that all may attend. Meet at the G Street entrance.
- Thursday, September 26 at 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, September 28 at noon
- Thursday, October 24 at 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 26 at noon
- Thursday, November 21 at 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 23 at noon
- Thursday, December 26 at 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 28 at noon
See Me at the Portrait Gallery:
A Program for Adults with Dementia and their Care-partners
Experience an interactive tour of the museum that is tailored to individuals with dementia and their care partners. Registration is required. For more information and to register, contact Ashley Grady at Access@si.edu or 202–633–2921.
- Wednesday, October 9, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Special Request Tours
Tours can be tailored to meet the needs, interests, and abilities of your group. To make arrangements, contact NPGAccess@si.edu or 202-633-8506.
Student programs at the National Portrait Gallery can accommodate a variety of learners, including students with low vision or blindness, developmental or cognitive disabilities, and those requiring ASL interpretation. To schedule a program for your class, go to the online registration page and provide as much information as possible in the relevant text boxes.