Job Opportunities

For those who love art and history, the National Portrait Gallery is an exciting place to work. Our diverse staff includes curators, researchers, collections managers, designers, administrators, and a wealth of other specialists.

Available Positions:

NPG Latino Curatorial Assistant

SCOPE OF WORK: The Contractor shall provide professional, technical, non-personal exhibition research and support services to the National Portrait Gallery for the Curator of Latino art and history.

STATEMENT OF WORK: The Contractor shall devote 75% of their time performing scholarly research and offering acquisition and exhibition support functions in preparation for several upcoming special exhibitions. The remaining 25% of time at work shall be devoted to cataloguing recent Latino art acquisitions. The Contractor will support the preparation of special exhibitions by performing duties including but not limited to conducting library and archival research, locating possible loans for the exhibitions planned, corresponding with artists, galleries, private collectors, archives, and institutions to facilitate acquisitions or exhibition loans, preparing the checklist, writing exhibition labels, and answering Latino art inquiries from the public.

CONTRACTOR DUTIES: The Contractor shall perform tasks which may include, but are not limited to, the following: - Research regarding the existence and location of artworks, documents, and visual and material culture related to Latino/Latinx art available for acquisition or loan. - Research on lending contacts and protocols with possible lending institutions. Draft loan letters. - Bibliographic and archival research of important themes that will assist curator with exhibition development. - Research and write acquisition proposals and object labels. - Prepare timeline and locate appropriate digital images for special exhibitions. - Assist with exhibition-related public programming research and preparation. - Catalogue recently acquired portraits of Latino sitters and/or by Latino artists in all media into TMS.

PERFORMANCE PERIOD: All work under this purchase order shall begin on Sept 15, 2023, and end by Sept 15, 2024.

PERFORMANCE STANDARDS AND LOCATION: Contractor shall perform all work between normal business hours of 8:45 A.M. to 5:15 P.M., Monday through Friday, excluding Federal holidays and Federal office closures due to inclement weather, final schedule to be confirmed with Curator of Latino art and history. Contractor shall meet NPG standards and templates for official correspondence, data entry into TMS, research and writing. Page 2 of 2 All works shall be performed at: Smithsonian Institution National Portrait Gallery 750 Ninth Street NW, Suite 410 Washington, DC 20001

NPG-FURNISHED ITEMS/INFORMATION: NPG shall provide workspace, office supplies and procedural information for the Contractor to perform the assigned duties.

Please respond to the RFQ below by August 22, 2023:

>> RFQ: Latino Curatorial Assistant