Institute participants will:
- Gain expertise from museum educators, curators, and historians through gallery talks, discussions, and hands-on activities
- Learn to use portraiture in the classroom, identifying and analyzing key components of a portrait and relating visual elements to relevant historical context and significance
- Make interdisciplinary connections among portraiture, social studies, and English/language arts
What the week looks like:
- Institute hours are 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day.
- Welcome reception the evening of day one from 5:00pm to 6:00pm for participants.
- Sharing of lesson ideas on the final day of the Institute, which ends at 3:00pm.
What teachers are saying about the Portrait Gallery’s summer teacher institutes:
“I was grateful that all learning styles and personalities seemed to be taken into account in the layout of this workshop. Best professional development workshop I’ve ever attended!“
"I really appreciated the care that went into the organization of this Institute, from the initial application process to the immediate follow-up email questions and attention to detail throughout.”
“The mix of hands-on and informative activities made me feel confident and excited to bring portraiture looking strategies to my classroom.”
“Teachers can always find resources, but providing them with the strategies to make meaningful connections between art and students (and with other disciplines) has been extremely valuable.”
“The information shared came from many different points of view—that of an educator, curator, and historian. There was no fluff! All of the activities were information packed.”
“The structure, with embedded work time and presentations, let me leave with a useable product and products from other participants to share with my colleagues at school.”
The cost of the program is $100, due upon acceptance into the teacher institute. This non-refundable fee covers the cost of your take-home materials as well as daily breakfast and lunch. Participants are responsible for travel and lodging costs.
Application, Acceptance and Registration
Application Form >>
Each applicant must submit a completed application online. Applicants will receive a confirmation email within two business days of their submission.
Important Dates to Remember:
- Application Deadline: April 1, 2019
- Applicants Notified of Application Status: April 8, 2019
- Scholarship Application Due: April 12, 2019
- Notification of Scholarship Status: April 22, 2019
- Accepted Applicants Decision Deadline: April 26, 2019
Please direct queries to email@example.com or 202-633-8503.